Operating Room Staff Scheduling Software Delivers Efficacy & Efficiency
Operating room staff scheduling software is one of the most valuable resources that hospitals can employ in their day-to-day operations.
When it comes to a hospital’s operations, operating rooms are notable for a few reasons:
- They have to accommodate sensitive patients and handle the riskiest procedures.
- They are responsible for approximately 60% of the average hospital’s revenue.
- They are the largest hospital cost category.
This means that operating room management effectiveness has a significant impact on a hospital’s financial stability.
What Is Operating Room Scheduling?
The term “operating room scheduling” refers to any process or system that is used to dictate the sequence of a hospital’s surgical operations over a set timeframe (e.g., day, week, month).
Operating room scheduling processes often formally outline the resources and personnel that are to be assigned to each operation or procedure. However, the duties and responsibilities of operating room schedulers have evolved with the introduction of operating room staff scheduling software.
What Does An Operating Room Scheduler Do?
The responsibilities of an operating room scheduler typically include:
- Routinely carrying out tasks related to provider scheduling using operating room staff scheduling software.
- Entering and updating data that related to surgical procedures, patients, and staff.
- Verifying and distributing operating room schedules, while also monitoring, revising, and confirming any necessary changes.
Challenges That Can Derail Operating Room Scheduling
The complexity of operating room scheduling means that it can be easily derailed at a moment’s notice. These challenges include:
- Inadequate or inaccurate descriptions of operating room procedures.
- Underestimating or overestimating surgery times; i.e., room-in to room-out times.
- Communication confusion, which can stem from the incorrect use of codes and surgery classifications.
- Inefficient allocation of nurses, assistants, and other staff members.
- Redundant paperwork, which leads to time wasted on data entry.
Operating Room Staff Scheduling Software Improves Efficiency
Eliminating paper-based scheduling processes is the first big step toward optimizing your surgical scheduling. These archaic methods should instead be replaced with appropriate operating room staff scheduling software to improve efficiency and facilitate easy access to relevant information.
Maintaining a healthy balance between optimal patient and staff experiences is also key. Scheduling software gives employees the ability to staff cases that are customized to each patient – making their job more efficient, while also improving success rates and patient satisfaction.
MDsyncNET’s cloud-based physician scheduling software delivers four advantages: low set-up fees, simple to learn, a single source of truth, and painless scheduling swaps. Call 888-506-5061 to see how MDsyncNET can help you integrate physician scheduling software into your facility.